Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Hold tight?"

I just received an automated response to an inquiry for technical support, which suggested that I "hold tight" as I wait for a response to come within the next 12 hours.

My immediate response was to resist mindlessly implementing that suggestion and question it instead.
"Hold tight" onto what?  To the expectation of a response?  Why would I want to do that?

No, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to "hold tight" in expectation.  I'd really much rather let go of holding onto anything tightly.  All I really have to hold onto is myself, anyway, and I certainly don't want to be holding tightly onto myself--that takes too much energy, and it hurts!  Besides, letting go makes it so much easier to breathe!

What if I were to "hold tight" onto patience?  Well, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea; I certainly would like to be patient as I wait for a response.  However, holding tightly onto anything will just increase my frustration if I still end up "losing it", so I'm not going to hold onto patience, either.

And what if a response to my inquiry never comes?  Then what would be the point of spending my energy on "holding tight"?  No, I won't "hold tight."

Instead, I choose to gently-loosely hold patience in my awareness, as I wait for a response that may or may not come.

  • Next time you are waiting for any kind of a response (whether online or from a person you're speaking with, etc.) notice if you are "holding tight" as you wait for a response.
  • Can you choose not to do that?
  • Can you decide to let go of "holding tightly" onto yourself with tension, and gently-loosely hold patience in your awareness, instead?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed with an open mind and heart.