Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Direction of Universal Energy with Alexander Technique
We don't know much, but it seems that there is agreement in the scientific world that universal energy expands. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, and enlighten me with anything more specific you might know about it!)
If that is so, then I can use that within myself (since I'm alive, and this mind-body energy within me is part of this universe).
Sure, you could say that's very abstract. But how can I make it immediately practical?
Here's one way, which I am experiencing right now, so I know it works for me.
- I become aware of a very strong emotion at work within me - I feel its energy.
- I notice that there is direction to it. What do I mean by that? Well, I notice a sharp constriction in my solar plexus and throat areas (chakras, according to some). As I pay attention to the sensation, I realize that there is a constricting, narrowing, tightening, compressing, contracting energy that is aiming inwards. It is not expansive. It is therefore aiming away from life and towards death - if we define life as the universal energy (I know I'm on shaky ground here, but bear with me - I'm doing my best to make it simple and practical).
- I don't like how this feels, in fact it is quite unpleasant. I can almost say I hate it (but not quite, because I'm interested in it.....hmmm....that's interesting......as soon as I notice this, I realize that part of me actually loves it, and suddenly my face smiles and I breathe)
- I could just stay with the above realization, but something in me wants to investigate my first idea, which is a bit different. So I notice the constriction again. I want it to go away.
- Noticing the constriction, I choose to stop doing whatever it is I'm doing to cause that. (Interesting again - as soon as I think, "I am stopping," it goes away! ... but then it comes back as soon as I stop thinking that.....)
- Again, I could stay with the previous discovery, but I really want to try out the spatial direction of energy idea...
- So as I notice the constrictive inward direction, I remember that I want that to stop, and I choose to aim this energy in the opposite direction; what I mean is, I want those areas in the middle of me to aim outwards instead of inwards - I want the energy in me to be re-directed into expansion, like a shining sun.
- Ah, that does work.
...So many ways to Rome.....with Alexander Technique ideas of observation, inhibition, and direction.
Smiling, breathing, shining out again. And balanced, too, because the inward energy still lives in me, too, even as I am aiming out.....
Always more to explore!
Posted by Jennifer Roig-Francolí at 2:01 PM